Monday, December 3, 2007

Christmas Devotional

I don't usually do this, but I just wanted to write a few of my thoughts. I didn't really get to watch the entire 1st Presidency's devotional last night (anyone with children can relate), but what I did hear could not have come at a better time. I have been really troubled lately about the state of our country, the world, and society in general. Between Glenn Beck's show and my visit to Ross the other day, I have seen enough! :-) I went to the Yuma mall last week, walked into Ross, and had to walk out two minutes later. I just could not bear to watch all the little mamas!! There were probably close to a dozen LITTLE GIRLS with newborn babies! I am not sure why, but teenage pregnancy just really hits a nerve with me. What are these girls thinking?! Here I am at almost 30 with two little ones, an unbelievable daddy for them, and an unbelievable extended family to support us, and I still struggle with the day to day needs of my girls! How then, can a girl who has not even finished high school possibly fulfill the needs of a baby?! Not to mention, her window of opportunity just became more like a peephole! That is not to say that motherhood shuts out "better" opportunities (there is nothing better than being a mother when the time is right), but at 15 or 16 without a father in the picture, what choices are left! I just want to find out who is teaching these girls and what are they telling them? What happened to morality?! It is as if they don't even care. I know immorality has been an issue (plaguing sin of our generation), but at least when I was in high school, people felt bad about it, and recognized it as a sin. It seems as if there is just no thought about it whatsoever now! It is as if you are a freak if you aren't having sex! This lack of morals and the impending "holy war" in the Middle East make me wonder what chance my girls have. It has been really bothering me lately. Then, yesterday at church, the lesson in Relief Society was entitled, "Christ will reign again on the earth." The whole lesson was so comforting. Imagining that millennium of peace brought me to tears. And, top it all off with the Christmas devotional last night focusing on the Savior and peace on earth. Just what I needed to hear so I could actually sleep last night! :-) I am so grateful for the knowledge that Christ will come again. I don't know how people can live in the world today and not have that hope and faith! Anyway, if you missed the devotional, you can download and watch it here. Highly recommended!

6 comments:

Heston, Melissa, Dani and Abby Welker said...

Em, I totally hear you on all of that. You should have heard the thoughts going through my head in the 3 years that I couldn't get pregnant when I would see those young mothers. Yikes! I think there were a couple of swear words in there! Anyway, it is so comforting to have the gospel in our lives. oh yeah, and I was thinking some Christmas with Mo-Tab or something like that might go better with this entry :) (not that I don't like your awesome music - you are the coolest music friend ever, and the smartest-just ask Amy:)

The Blakes said...

Thanks for those words. We missed the devotional and now I'm going to make sure we listen to it together. I've taught high school for 8 years now and I have at least one teenage parent in every one of my classes. It's so sad that it's the norm now.

Jordan said...

I agree with you all the way. I too am just so worried about my little girls when they are teenagers...what will the world be like? Scarry thought!

the Painters said...

Are you PMSing? Just kidding sweety. You are so awesome Emily. I love saying that you are my best friend. You are so smart, on point, and so spiritual and have it all together. I feel the same way. I fear for our children and their children.

Orrin & Courtney said...

You go girl! I feel the same way- so sad... I worry about Adi going to school next year. Doesn't help that OP listend to Hannity everyday and tells me tales of woe about the state of our country.

Leah & Mike said...

In comment to your thought 'you wonder what chance your girls have' Is the biggest fear I have for my own children, but then I know that our girls have such a better chance than a lot others. They have good parents, who are examples and who will teach them morality and that they are daughters of God, who love them and that they are divine and worth waiting for marriage. I think teenagers that get themselves into trouble were just looking for love and as long as our girls know they are loved not just by us, but by Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ they won't have to go out looking for someone to make them feel valued.